1. As an artist, what things in life make you feel “never normal”?
Dedicating my life to music makes it. You either goin’ my way, or you IN the way.
2. What is your favorite part of your sound?
Atypical harmony. Chords turn me on.
3. Tell us a highlight moment of your music journey.
Currently on the Respect the Architect Tour with Blueprint and DJ Rare Groove. It is the longest tour of my career with 60 concerts total. Today we leave for two concerts in Alaska.
4. What’s the 1st thing on your mind as soon as you wake up?
Gettin’ money for my responsibilities is the first and last thing on my mind each day.
5. You live in Atlanta, who are some of your favorite new artists from the A right now?
If Tuamie is in the A as they say, him. Also, ForteBowie.
6. You couldn’t live without….?
Food, clothing, shelter & decent health is all I can not live without. I’ve learned nothing in life is guaranteed to be permanent. I shall not want or need.
7. What are all of the instruments you play?
Having a solid working knowledge of music theory, I apply that knowledge to whatever instrument I get to spend a fair amount of time with. At this stage in my career, and after working with some of the best musicians in the world, I feel the drum machine is my primary instrument.
8. Who are some of your favorite artists you’ve had the pleasure of working with?
Don’t have favorites, but learned key elements of my musical style from MF DOOM, Roy & Victor Wooten and Van Hunt.
9. What’s one thing in life that always inspires you?
Re-harmonizing hymns may never get old to me. That is my daily inspiration.
10. Do you like where music culture is going right now?
Not very concerned with music culture at large, as long as I can make money off music. Most acts don’t last long enough to miss them.
11. Your new EP and tape is called Handshake Vs. Dap. What gave you the idea for that name?
Handshake vs. Dap is figuring out how to greet a person initially. The vibe is peace, unity, love & having fun once we have togetherness.
12. Any last thoughts?
Thank you Suzi. I love what you do and how you do it.
Count Bass D - Handshake Vs. Dap Cassette is on sale now via Never Normal Records.
Count Bass D is now on a North American Tour with Blueprint bringing slaps (and daps) to the stage now through July on the Respect The Architect Tour. Catch him in your city.
Tuesday June 17th - Whitefish, MT @ Crush Lounge | EVENT DETAILS
Wednesday June 18th - Missoula, MT @ Stage 112 | EVENT DETAILS
Thursday June 19th - Great Falls, MT @ Machinery Row | EVENT DETAILS
Friday June 20th - Bozeman, MT @ Zebra Cocktail | EVENT DETAILS
Saturday June 21st - Minot, ND @ Souris River Brewery | EVENT DETAILS
Sunday June 22nd - Fargo, ND @ The Nestor | EVENT DETAILS
Tuesday June 24th - Des Moines, IA @ Vaudeville Mews | EVENT DETAILS
Wednesday June 25th - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry | EVENT DETAILS
Thursday June 26th - Kansas City, MO @ Riot Room | EVENT DETAILS